On Wednesday, 5th April 2017, a Cabinet Meeting chaired by His Excellency the President of the Republic, Paul KAGAME, convened in Village URUGWIRO.
The Cabinet Meeting approved the resolutions of the Cabinet Meeting held on 03/02/2017.
The Cabinet Meeting was briefed on the outcome from the official visits made by His Excellency the President of the Republic in China, Holy See, United States of America and United Kingdom.
At the invitation of his counterpart, Xi Jinping, His Excellency the President of the Republic held high-level bilateral talks which laid ground for key areas namely industrial investment, infrastructure and tourism.
In Holy See:
Upon invitation by His Holiness Pope Francis, His Excellency the President of the Republic met with him and discussed relationships between Rwanda and the Catholic Church. The discussions were fruitful as His Holiness Pope Francis asked for forgiveness for the Catholic Church’s role in the 1994 Genocide against the Tutsi.
In the United States of America:
His Excellency the President of the Republic was invited to address AIPAC Policy Conference held in Washington DC which brings together Israel and its allies. His Excellency the President of the Republic is the first African Head of State to address AIPAC.
His Excellency the President of the Republic participated in the Atlantic Council think tank on the future of US-Africa relationships. At Boston, His Excellency the President of the Republic delivered a public lecture at Harvard Business School on development of Rwanda, in particular, and of Africa as a whole.
In the United Kingdom: His Excellency the President of the Republic delivered a public lecture on Rwanda development.
- The Cabinet Meeting approved the upgrading of Nyange and Rebero Genocide Memorials from District to the National Level.
- The Cabinet Meeting approved:
– Additional features to the EAC electronic Passport;
– The Feeder Roads Policy and Strategy;
– Rwanda Quadrennial Periodic Report for the 2005 UNESCO Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expression;
III. The Cabinet Meeting approved the Draft Laws:
– Draft Law governing the National Bank of Rwanda;
– Draft Law approving the ratification of the financing agreement signed in Kigali, Rwanda on 09 March, 2017 between the Republic of Rwanda and the International Development Association (IDA) relating to the credit of SDR 34,300,000 for the transformation of agriculture sector program phase 3;
– Draft Law approving the ratification of the agreement signed in Kigali, Rwanda on 19 October 2016, between the Republic of Rwanda and the Kingdom of Morocco, for the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income;
– Draft Law approving the ratification of the Grant Agreement signed in Kigali, Rwanda on 31st March 2017 Between the Republic of Rwanda and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) relating to grant of Two Billion Seventy Seven Million Japanese Yen (¥ 2,077,000,000) for the Project of Rehabilitation of Irrigation Facilities in Rwamagana District;
– Draft Law modifying and complementing Law nº 54/2010 of 25/01/2011 establishing Rwanda Biomedical Center (RBC) and determining its mission, organization and functioning;
– Draft Law relating to the protection of Whistleblowers;
- The Cabinet Meeting approved the following Orders:
– Prime Minister’s Order determining organizational Structure, Salaries and Fringe benefits for Employees of National Unity and Reconciliation Commission (NURC);
– Prime Minister’s Order granting a leave of absence for non-specific period to Dr.
UMULISA Irenée, who was Director of Neglected Tropical Diseases and other Parasitic Diseases Unit in Rwanda Biomedical Center (RBC);
– Prime Minister’s Order determining the Supervising Authority of Rwanda Forensic Laboratory (RFL);
– Ministerial Order granting the power of attorney to certain staff members of Rwanda Social Security Board (RSSB).
Ms. KIRENGA BATAMULIZA Viviane;
Mr. SEKABUKE Jean Paul and
Ms. RWAKUNDA Quinta.
– Ministerial Order determining regulations implementing the Law No 75/2013 of 11/09/2013 establishing regulation governing Civil Aviation;
- The Cabinet Meeting approved the agrément of proposed Ambassadors/High Commissioners designated to represent their respective countries and the Apostolic Nuncio of the Catholic Church to Rwanda.
– Mr. BENOIT RYELANDT, of the Kingdom of Belgium, with residence in Kigali;
– Mr. BENSON KAITH CHALI, of Zambia, with residence in Dar-Es-Salaam, Tanzania;
– Mr. LASZLO EDUARD MATHE, of Hungary, with residence in Nairobi, Kenya;
– Mr. CHULPATHMENDRA DAHANAYAKE, of Sri Lanka, with residence in Nairobi, Kenya.
– Mgr. ANDRZEJ JOZWOWICZ, Apostolic Nuncio of Holy See (Catholic Church of Rome), with residence in Kigali, Rwanda;
- The Cabinet Meeting made the following appointments in various Government Institutions.
- National Commission for Human Rights Commissioners:
MAKOMBE Jean Marie;
KAWERA Marie Sylvie;
- National Unity and Reconciliation Commission Commissioner: MUHIRE Louis – Antoine
- National Electoral Commission Commissioners:
- a) Head of National Budget: NAMUTEBI Rehemah;
- b) Division Manager of Fiscal Decentralization Division : NZAYIKORERA
- c) Division Manager of National Planning & Research Division : MUSHABE
- d) Senior Economist of Macro-Economic Policy Division: RWAKUNDA
- e) Division Manager of External Finance Division: NKUSI Ronald.
- a) Transport Division Manager: BYIRINGIRO Alfred;
- b) Rwanda Water and Sanitation Corporation (WASAC)
Deputy CEO in charge of Rural Water & Sanitation Services: UMUHUMUZA Gisele.
- a) Higher Education Council Executive Director: Dr. MUVUNYI Emmanuel;
- b) Rwanda Education Board (REB)
Head of Examinations and Accreditation Department: Dr. TUSIIME Michael.
- a) Director General/ICT: IRERE Claudette;
- b) Principal Senior Technologist in charge of ICT Private Sector Development: KABARISA René.
- Rwanda Information Society Authority (RISA)
- a) Chief Executive Officer (CEO): MUHIZI Bagamba Innocent;
- b) Government Chief Information Officer (GCIO): NYIRANZEYIMANA Josephine;
- c) Government Chief Innovation Officer (GCINO): SEBERA Antoine.
- National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda (NISR)
Deputy Director General: MURENZI Ivan
Director General: Maj. NYIRISHEMA Patrick
- Ombudsman’s Office
- a) Deputy Ombudsman in charge of Preventing and Fighting Corruption and Related Offences: MUSANGABATWARE Clement;
- b) Deputy Ombudsman in charge of Preventing and Fighting Injustice:
- Board of Directors
- a) Rwanda Water and Sanitation Corporation (WASAC)
MUNYANEZA Omar, Chairperson;
KAYITESI Marcelline, Member.
- b) Rwandair :Jean Paul Nyirubutama, Member
- c) Board of Directors of Rwanda Broadcasting Agency (RBA)
- National Bank of Rwanda (BNR)
Vice Governor: Dr. NSANZABAGANWA Monique
- Regional Center on Small Arms and Light Weapons (RECSA)
Director of Planning and Coordination: CP MUGISHA ZIKAMA Joseph
- a) Acting CEO: Col. Chance Ndagano;
- b) Deputy CEO in charge of Operations (COO): Lt Col. Sylvere
- c) Deputy CEO in charge of Corporate Affairs: MAKOLO MANZI Yvonne.
- Office of the Prime Minister/PMO
– BYUSA Michelle: Advisor to Minister in charge of Cabinet Affairs
– KIHESI RWAGUMA: Advisor to the Director of Cabinet.
- Ministry of Justice/MINIJUST
– MUSHINZIMANA Karyn: Advisor to the Minister of State in charge of Constitutional and Legal Affairs.
- Ministry of Local Government/MINALOC
– YANKURIJE Thacien: Director of Social Affairs Unit.
– BUGINGO RUJONGI Emmanuel: Director of Community Development Unit.
- Ministry of Trade, Industry and East African Community Affairs/MINEACOM
– NSHUNGUYINKA John: Director of Social and Governance Affairs Unit.
- Local Administrative Entities Development Agency/LODA
– KWIFASHA Wellars: Director of Finance Unit.
- Rwanda Standards Board/RSB
– KABERA Bernard: Director of Testing Laboratories Unit.
– UWAMARIYA Pacifique: Director of Chemical Laboratories Unit.
- University Teaching Hospital/CHUK
– MUHAWENIMANA BARINDIKIJE Immaculeé: Director of Nursing Service Unit.
VII. In A.O.B:
- a) The Minister of Justice/Attorney General informed the Cabinet Meeting that from the 15th to 19th May 2017, Rwanda will host the 4th Biennial Africa Correctional Services Association (ACSA) Conference under the theme: “Building a professional correctional system in Africa: A strategic objective”. The Conference will take place at Kigali Convention Centre.
- b) The Minister of Sports and Culture informed the Cabinet Meeting that:
– The 23rd Commemoration of the Genocide against the Tutsi will start on 7th April 2017 at the Gisozi Genocide memorial where a flame of hope lighting will take place. Commemoration activities will start on that date in all Villages of the Country and will last 100 days. This year’s theme is: “Let’s remember the Genocide against the Tutsi; fighting its ideology and standing firm on our achievements”. The Cabinet Meeting recalled that commemoration activities must be conducted without holding everything.
– The Commonwealth Games Queen’s Baton Relay 2017 travelled through Rwanda from 22nd to 25th March 2017.
- c) The Minister of Trade, Industry and EAC Affairs informed the Cabinet Meeting that the 2nd
East African Manufacturing and Business Summit (EAMBS) is scheduled to take place in Kigali Serena Hotel from 23rd to 25thMay 2017 under the theme: “Harnessing the Manufacturing Potential for Sustainable Economic Growth”.
- d) The Minister of Refugee Affairs and Disaster Management informed the Cabinet meeting that:
– Inauguration of 18 bridges in Gakenke District took place on 2th March 2017 and inauguration of 16 disaster resilient model houses were launched in Rusizi District. The houses were built specifically for people who had been evacuated from disaster risk prone villages in Bugarama Sector/Rusizi District.
– The Tripartite meeting between the Government of Rwanda, the Republic of
Congo and the UNHCR related to the cessation of circumstances for Rwandan refugees living in Congo was held on the 3rdand 4th April 2017.
- e) The Minister of Youth and ICT informed the Cabinet Meeting that the Government of Rwanda in partnership with the Smart Africa Secretariat is organizing the “Transform Africa 2017 Summit”, which will be held in Kigali from 10th to 12th May 2017. This year’s theme is: “Smart Cities, Fast Forward”.
- f) The Minister of Agriculture and Animal Resources informed the Cabinet Meeting that season 2017B is progressing well. However, there is an outbreak of army worms destroying grain crops. This outbreak has so far been reported in 108 Sectors in 23 Districts. The pests have infected 15,699 ha of maize and sorghum crops. MINAGRI in collaboration with MINALOC and Districts are carrying out countrywide awareness campaigns on prevention and fight against the scourge countrywide. The population is encouraged to conduct community work in order to burn out the army worms and spray the affected fields of grain crops.
- g) The Minister of State in charge of Primary and Secondary Education informed the Cabinet Meeting that MINEDUC celebrated the 2017 African Day of School Feeding on 25thMarch 2017. This year’s theme is: “Home Grown School Feeding: Investment in youth and children to harnessing the demographic dividend”. At national level, celebrations took place at Groupe Scolaire Cyanika, Cyanika Sector in Nyamagabe District.
This Statement was signed by Stella Ford MUGABO
The Minister in Charge of Cabinet Affairs