The Uganda Cranes were voted the best in Africa in 2016 at the GLO CAF annual football Awards in Abuja, Nigeria.
Mamelodi Sundowns and Uganda Cranes goalkeeper Denis Onyango has also been declared African Player of the Year based in Africa, the award he dedicated to his club based South Africa club, national teammates and fans.
Uganda Cranes made history by qualifying to the African Cup of Nations (AFCON) come the year 2017 that will be hosted by Gabon, the first qualification achieved since 1978 in Ghana.
Onyango‚ who helped the Sundowns to Caf Champions League glory and the Ugandan national team to qualify for the Caf Cup of Nations‚ said he would not have been rewarded with the award if it was not for his teammates and support from the fans.
Algerian international Riyad Mahrez has been crowned 2016 African player of the year after beating Gabonese Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Senegalese winger Sadio Mane to be the winner of the continent’s top football award.
Below is the overall GLO CAF awards as presented on Thursday in Abuja, Nigeria
- African Player of the Year: Riyad Mahrez (Algeria & Leicester)
- CAF Platinum Award: Muhammadu Buhari
- Football Leader of the Year: Manuel Lopes Nascimento
- African Player of the Year – Based in Africa: Denis Onyango
- Referee of the Year: Bakary Papa Gassama
- Women’s Player of the Year: Asisat Oshoala
- 2016 Coach of the Year: Pitsoo Mosimane from Memelodi Sundowns
- 2016 Youth Player of the Year: Alex Iwobi (Nigeria & Arsenal)
- 2016 Most Promising Player of the Year: Kelechi Iheanacho (Nigeria & Manchester City)
- Club of the Year: Memelodi Sundowns
- Women’s National Team of the Year: Nigeria
- National Team of the Year: Uganda
CAF president Issa Hayatou said during the event that year 2017 is so particular and symbolic for African Football and the Confederation Africaine de Football, which will be celebrating its 60th anniversary.