Kenyan Supreme Court has said the electoral commission failed, neglected and refused to conduct the elections in accordance with the law, hence nullifies Uhuru Kenya’s re-election, orders fresh vote. President Kenyatta says he disagrees with, but respects court ruling, and election chair says he won’t resign.
According to The East African, Chief Justice David Maraga has said the irregularities compromised the integrity of the presidential poll. The court has nullified the re-election of President Uhuru Kenyatta and ordered that fresh polls be conducted in 60 days. The top court, in a majority decision Friday, said that the IEBC had “failed, neglected and refused” to conduct the elections in accordance with the law.
How can six people reject millions’ action?
Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta has said he respects the Supreme Court ruling that has annulled his re-election but disagrees with it, arguing that six people (judges) can not reject what millions of people have done.
He said, “Millions of people queued and made their choice and six people have decided that they will go against that will,” Mr Kenyatta said in his nation address.”I personally disagree with the court decision, but I will respect it,” he said.
While urging Kenyans to maintain peace, the President said he is ready for the repeat election in 60 days. “We are ready to go back to the people with the same agenda that we delivered to the people,” he said, adding that he would beat his arch-rival Raila Odinga at the ballot.
Chief Justice David Maraga, announcing the ruling of four out of the six judges, declared President Kenyatta’s re-election in the August 8 poll “invalid, null and void” due to irregularities committed by the electoral commission, IEBC.
Mr Chebukati said the commission would read the judgement and “where there were mistakes, people must take responsibility”.
The chairperson of Kenya’s electoral commission, Wafula Chebukati, has absolved himself from any responsibility in the wake of the Supreme Court’s decision to annul the presidential election result.
Chief Justice David Maraga, announcing the ruling of four out of the six judges, declared President Kenyatta’s re-election in the August 8 poll “invalid, null and void” due to irregularities committed by the IEBC. He ordered for a fresh vote in 60 days. While addressing a press conference after the ruling, Mr Chebukati said the commission would read the judgment and “where there were mistakes, people must take responsibility”.
He argued that the problem that the judges identified had been in the transmission of results and not in the voting and counting processes. He said the commission will make internal changes that will involve staff shake-up and review of its systems.
Further, he called on the chief prosecutor Keriako Tobiko to investigate and prosecute staff who might have been involved in elections malpractice.
Earlier, opposition leaders led by Raila Odinga and Kalonzo Musyoka, who filed the petition, called for the prosecution of IEBC chiefs.
Mr Odinga said Mr Chebukati and his team “belong to jail” as Mr Musyoka declared that they have no faith in the commission, but Mr Chebukati defended his work and vowed not to resign because he was not “personally touched by the Supreme Court ruling”.
“I am not resigning,” he said adding that “I listened to the Supreme Court judges and did not hear anything about the chairman.” He said the commission would proceed to organise the rerun.
“I am confident that we can deliver the election in 60 days. The court said IEBC to run the election. This is the only institution that can do that,” he said.
click here to receive the updated news on facebook on twitte
Jean Baptiste Karegeya
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Copyright © 2014 -2017 - Bwiza.com - All Rights Reserved