Following Ebola outbreak in eastern DR Congo last year and then in Kasese District, Western Uganda, earlier this month, the World Health Organization (WHO) says Rwanda is at high risk.
Dr Kasonde Mwinga, the WHO representative to Rwanda, said they help to coordinate partners responding to different aspects of Ebola preparedness and response.
In case of an outbreak, the organization stirs up an incident management system that comes in to play different pillars for response in different areas.
“WHO has deployed people to help countries, Rwanda inclusive, to build capacity at the national and district levels, leadership and coordination We are represented in various technical groups in Rwanda that are working at the operation level, and we have regional responses,” she noted.
Mwinga further said that the most important thing at the moment is to first fight the Ebola epidemic in the neighbouring countries because that is how Rwanda can be free from the virus.
Dr Jose Nyamusore, Epidemic Surveillance and Response Division Manager at Rwanda Biomedical Centre, said that due to cross-border movement, Rwanda is considered to be at high risk for Ebola according to TNT.
He said, this prompted the Ministry of Health to come up with the Ebola virus disease preparedness and response plan phase three, which will be implemented from July 1 through December this year.
Meanwhile, the government has set aside Rwf11.5 billion as it steps up efforts to protect the country against Ebola.
According to the State Minister for Public and Primary Healthcare, Dr Patrick Ndimubanzi, phase three money is to be spent in the next five months to facilitate access to vaccines, infection prevention control, bringing on board expertise, training different doctors about Ebola, among others.