Rwanda’s prosecution agency has said it will appeal the recent acquittal of Diane Rwigara and her mother Adeline Rwigara.
Jean Bosco Mutangana, Rwanda Chief Prosecutor told reporters that the National Public Prosecution Authority, NPPA, was set to challenge the Kigali High court’s decision.
The court last week acquitted the Rwigara’s who were facing charges of inciting violence and forgery on the part of Diane during the presentation of her candidature to contest presidential polls in 2017.
The duo was acquitted with the court citing insufficient evidence on the part of the prosecution. This is the first time government is responding to the acquittal.
The NPPA boss on Wednesday held a press conference with an aim of giving an update on the international cooperation on genocide fugitives. This follows the extradition Tuesday of Wenceslas Twagirayezu from Denmark.[penci_related_posts taxonomies=”undefined” title=”Inline Related Posts” background=”” border=”” thumbright=”no” number=”4″ style=”list” align=”none” displayby=”recent_posts” orderby=”random”]
The 37-year-old Diane Rwigara faced up to 22 years in prison for charges she said were politically motivated. A three-judge panel told a packed room all the charges were “baseless”.